Sunday, January 22, 2012

Pretzel Jello Recipe

So, what I thought was just a weird family recipe turns out to be a favorite to many.  I keep seeing this picture and I'm wondering how many other people make it and what they call it.  This one is slightly different from ours (we use pineapple juice to make the jello and no brown sugar in the pretzels) but otherwise, it's pretty much the same.  I'll make my own and take a picture, in the meantime here's the recipe I found online.  I know it sounds weird, but seriously... you need to try it!

2 1/2 c. pretzels (crushed fine)
3 Tbsp. brown sugar
3/4 c. butter
1 (6 oz) pkg instant strawberry jello
1 10 oz. pkg. frozen strawberries or small container (16 oz) sliced fresh strawberries 
1 ( 8 oz ) pkg cream cheese
1 c. sugar
8 oz. cool whip

Combine pretzels, brown sugar, and melted butter and press into a greased 9 X 13 pan. You can use more butter if the crust isn't sticking together. Bake @ 350 for 10 minutes.

Make jello according to directions and add the strawberries. Refrigerate until partially set. *If it is not set enough it will leak through your cream cheese layer and make your pretzels soggy.

Beat cream cheese and sugar until smooth. Blend in cool whip. Spread over cooled crust make sure you spread completely to the edges to create a seal so your jello doesn't leak through. Pour jello over cream cheese layer. Refrigerate.  Via The-Girl-Who-Ate-Everything.com

2 comments:

  1. I've never had this exact recipe, but my mom always made a jello mold with a layer of cream cheese and nuts in the middle and it was amazing. Being a salt fanatic, I must try the this version with pretzels!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd never had (what I know to be) Pretzel Salad until I started visiting a friend every year in Louisville for the Kentucky Derby. I'm hooked for life now!

    ReplyDelete